Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Home-Schooling

People often ask me if I Home-School the kids because they are not sure what kind of schooling is available here. Well, Damon and I hang out and have lots of different activities to do during the day, although I'm not sure I would classify any of it as "Home-School." And we are fortunate to have the two older ones at Ross (Veterinary) University Preparatory School. The classes are quite small and they have awesome teachers who are all certified in the U.S. They teach according to U.S. curriculum so when we someday return the kids will be at the same level as the students there. We're all really happy with the Prep School, and besides, you know that I am not the kind of mom who Home-Schools children. I would not, could not, here or there, I would not do it anywhere. I would not, could not, in the rain. Not in the dark, not on a train. Not in a house, not in a box. Not with a mouse, not with a fox. I would not home-school here or there, I would not do it anywhere. And I probably would not eat green eggs and ham either.

With that said, sometimes we have an experience that lends itself to a Home-School lesson. Such as when these monkeys began regularly coming to the backyard to steal the bananas. They provide many interesting topics of discussion with a 2-year-old, such as theft, primates, possible diseases that wild animals can carry, proper table manners, cleaning up after yourself when you doo doo on public property, etc.




Here is the brave one collecting all the bananas.


He even carried one in his mouth.


And then he ran away with the fruit. Now that reminds me of one of Damon's favorite past-times. D-I-E-G-O. "Stop, Bobos! Those silly monkeys are always getting into trouble."


2 comments:

Niki Carter said...

phew! I thought the world was coming to an end. . . I read the title and thought you had lost your mind!! I love your green eggs and ham reference! I am glad that I still know you:)

amyegodfrey said...

I am with you 100% on the home schooling comment. That was a great Dr. Seuss reference. I'm stalking because you know Abby, my daughter. She is grateful to know wonderful people from the church.